SHE is a woman AT WORK. On a road of SELF discovery. Growing with every activity, taking step by
step and giving it HER best. SHE – defining what I means because ‘WE’ for some reason used to make more sense. The importance of the word ‘I’, the importance of the word ‘ME’. The power OUR,( oops) HER decisions have, building blocks to
Character – Family – Community
Culture – Country – Continent
Who are you?
What do you want?
Where are you going?
Lord what is your will for ME?
Lord what did you wire ME for?
Nakitto Sandra Suubi was born in Kampala, Uganda in 1990. Many of Suubi’s sculptural installations are big in form and size, depicting messages of hope and encouraging people to dream and believe in themselves. Working mainly with recycled plastic and metal, most recently—experimenting with different forms of found materials found with the particular communities in which she works in Kampala, Uganda and other parts of the world. Suubi studies these communities through observation, discussions with the people living with in these communities and collects and experiments with the different media found within these communities. The installations add to the discussion about the function of objects such as used plastic bottles (transformation and application) in everyday life and the role of artists as the eye of society. She believes that materials such as plastic which is not biodegradable, ‘Must work for us if it stays with us.’
Suubi received a BA from the Margaret Trowell School of Industrial and Fine Art , Makerere University, Kampala Uganda, (2014) and since has taken part in different festivals, art projects and residencies, in and out of Uganda. She has participated in the Bayimba International Festival( 2013), Laba Festival (2014), KLA Art (2014), Garbage collectors ( 2014), AtWork (2015) and Age Of Wonderland during the Dutch Design Week ( 2014). Suubi is currently doing her Masters in Fine Art at the Margaret Trowel School of Industrial and Fine art. Nakitto Sandra Suubi lives and works in Kampala, Uganda.
1. DREAM LAB. ( EBILOTO 3)
Age of Wonderland #DDW14
• Baltan Quarterly http://issuu.com/baltanlaboratories/docs/bq3_aowl_issuu
• Newspapers DDW 18-26 Oct 2014 http://issuu.com/dutchdesignweek/stacks/5d5b50bd799f4f0b9144754fe3a7b85a
• DDW 2014 http://www.ddw.nl/ddw//content.php?lang=en&pageID=9cc1d821c5ec4cf6f83fb26de3b9cfbd
• Connecting the Dots #10 – Social & Green Design Guide http://issuu.com/connecting_the_dots/docs/ctd_thedots_10_def/1
• Griet Menschaert Newsletter http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=a769250fbba2076ddd8476873&id=df6ef18c02&e=15050fcf34
• D UNKNOWN Magazine http://d-unknown.nl/age-of-wonderland-cross-border-cooperation-baltan-laboratories-hivos-and-dutch-design-week/
• DDW announcements: http://luisterberichten.com/2014/10/16/dutch-design-week-2014-5-luistertips/
• Arts Thread Blog http://blog.artsthread.com/2014/10/ddw14-bombastic-dramatic-dutch/
• Hivos webpage https://www.hivos.org/news/age-wonderland-cross-border-cooperation-baltan-laboratories-hivos-and-dutch-design-week
• Dutch Design Daily http://dutchdesigndaily.com/new/age-wonderland-eng/
• Images by Sas Schilten https://www.flickr.com/photos/baltanlaboratories/sets/72157648084591228/
• Dutch Design Week http://www.ddw.nl/content.php?pageID=c3a69d609621ccc631af5c67a856ed08
• social media facebook – https://www.facebook.com/AgeofWonderland2014?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
• Sandra – Connecting the Dots mag http://vimeo.com/108703258
• Preview with DDW Ambassador Arne Hendriks, Jose, Griet and Sandra: http://web.avrotros.nl/kunstuur/player/8282250/
• Design Debates https://www.facebook.com/events/762856583760056/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular
• Blog by Andreas Siagian http://labinalab.tumblr.com/
• Griet’s + Jose’s archive https://twitter.com/prisontrip
2. KING OF THE ROAD
3. THE POWER OF POSSIBILITY ( EBIROTO 2)
Garbage Collectors Afrika | Facebook
4. BAYIMBA STAGE BACKDROP ( 2013)
5. THE HEADPHONES ( EBIROTO 1)